Monday, October 2, 2017

Don't call it a comeback...

Well, I suppose it is a comeback...

At the end of February, I had to hang up my Lego spurs and put this blog on indefinite hiatus while I took care of me.  Life caught up and overwhelmed me.  It was draining.  I had no energy, no desire, no time.

There was too much to do.  My wife wanted to move to a place closer to her place of work, since I can work remotely.  The new place is smaller, so we had to get a larger storage space, closer to the new residence.  Everything had to be packed up, including the Lego's.  I must have went through 20 boxes, and most of them are still awaiting unpacking.

When we weren't planning to move or actually doing so, I had school.  As I've progressed through the University of Minnesota Carlson program, the coursework has gotten tougher.  I've had to put more and more hours in to pass the class and keep my grades up (I want to finish with a GPA around 3.2).

I've also been busy with work.  I'm expected to take more of a project management role in my current position, so I'm constantly working on software rollouts.  I've been putting in extra time to ensure things go smoothly.  And I can't afford Lego fun time if I can't pay the bills with my mad programming skills, defragging my hard drive for thrills (Weird Al Yankovic - "All About the Pentiums").

Whatever free time I've had has been partially spent playing Pokemon Go.  A distraction?  Yeah, but I need to get out of house so I don't go mad.

Speaking of getting out of the house, my wife and I did some travelling this summer, post-move.  Disneyland, Kansas City (to see the solar eclipse), Duluth (her parents were in town a week)...  Can't sit around and write Lego blog posts when you're away from your source material.

So, after all that, am I back?  I hope so.  I don't have class again until late October, so I'll have some nights off to go through some boxes, find elements of my Lego town, and blog about their design, their construction, their purpose.  I never finished the Marina district.  I've got two more posts to write there before the next overarching theme.

I just have to dig everything out and reassemble the buildings.  Shouldn't be too hard.  The big question will be, can I?  Or is there another major obstacle in my path?  We'll see.

Just don't hold your breath quite yet...

1 comment:

  1. I just wanted to say. I enjoy reading your lego blogs. I am just getting back into lego's again from when I was a kids. My wife anf youngest daughter enjoys building the sets we have bought. I never imagine how much legos have changed through out the years. I don't know where to sat. I enjoy the cars. So that is where we will start till i can afford more. The Speed Champions are great. Thank you for sharing your experience with all of us.

    James

    ReplyDelete