Tuesday, May 31, 2016

Lego Dimensions cost analysis

Before we begin here, let's get a couple of things out of the way.  First, I'm postponing my usual scheduled post about one of my Lego city buildings, as I've been fairly busy lately with traveling and social commitments.

Second, if you are no planning to buy Lego Dimensions for a game console, then you can buy whatever Lego sets you want.  I'm just trying to help you save money if you ensure that you can access all the game content available.

First, let's start with the minimum purchase to get entry into all the worlds.  There are 14 areas of the game to explorer beyond the storyline set of levels.  You get access to DC Comics, Lord of the Rings, and the LEGO movie with the starter pack, so you only need 11 more sets.

Pro tip: keep an eye on the ads from your local newspaper or online.  Starter Packs with the game disc, base, Gandalf, Wyldstyle, Batman, and the Batmobile, will run you $80-90 at MSRP, but you can luck out to save a few bucks.  My wife and I lucked out and got the Wii U Starter Pack for less than $33 thanks to a Target sale and the reported price on their website.

After you have the Starter Pack, let's look at the worlds where you only have one set available to get access.  Jurassic World, Portal 2, Scooby-Doo, Midway Arcade, and The Wizard of Oz, Only give you one option, so let's pick those up:

  • 71235 Midway Arcade Level Pack
  • 71203 Portal 2 Level Pack
  • 71205 Jurassic World Team Pack
  • 71206 Scooby-Doo! Team Pack
  • 71221 Wicked Witch Fun Pack
Level Packs are $29.99, Team Packs are $24.99, and Fun Packs are $11.99.  With these first five purchases, You're already on the hook for $121.95.  I'm not including the Starter Pack in the total financial commitment totals because, of course, if you don't have the Starter Pack and you're just buying Lego's, then you don't need this guide.

We now have access to eight worlds.  There are six more to go, so we'll start looking at minimum purchases.  We can do this with Fun Packs, so we'll calculate our new total now.  $121.95 + (6 * 11.99) = $193.89.

The next question we much ask ourselves is which fun packs to buy.  There are 43 unique character abilities, so we'll look at those characters with unique abilities or have multiple abilities.  I won't got into the details, but here's who I recommend:
  • Back to the Future: 71230 Doc Brown Fun Pack (Drone, Fix-It, Hacking, Tech nology)
  • The Simpsons: 71227 Krusty the Clown Fun Pack (Growth, Hazard Cleaner)
  • Ninjago: 71234 Sensei Wu Fun Pack (Pole Vault, Spinjitzu)
  • Legends of Chima: 71222 Laval Fun Pack (CHI, Laser Deflector, Sonar Smash)
  • Doctor Who: 71238 Cyberman Fun Pack (X-Ray Vision)
  • Ghostbusters: 71241 Slimer Fun Pack (Hazard Protection, Mini Access)
With these six additional Fun Packs, I get to use 37 abilities.  I'm still missing Atlantis, Big Transform, Drill, Freeze Breath, Rainbow LEGO Objects, and Suspend Ghost).  In these instances, I'd use the in-game Hire a Hero function to bring in someone to take care of these tasks.

Please note, I have not taken any vehicle abilities into account yet.  While I was compiling my numbers, I discovered the first Batmobile upgrade will give you the ability to Sonar Smash, which scratches out one reason to get Laval.  I don't know what other upgrades will take care of missing skillsets, but I'll keep you up to date as I progress down the line here.

If you wish to follow my path and you discover something I haven't, please leave a comment below and I'll verify that.  I've already bought the Wicked Witch and Doc Brown, so I can get into 5 of the 14 worlds now.  I'm keeping my eyes open for deals on additional game content packs.  Once I finish up my list, I'll let you know how much I ended up spending and what further abilities I gain with all the vehicles.

Start saving up, kiddos.  You're going to need about $300 to get everything in every Lego Dimension.

No comments:

Post a Comment