Saturday, October 10, 2015

Struggling to Keep Up

I've been having trouble staying focused on cranking out my Lego blog posts lately.  A lot has changed since I started this back in January.  Among them are...

  • School: I'm taking four credits this fall (as I did this past spring), so my semesters are taking four months to complete.  It really takes away from my free time when I have to study, so I'm not as available for my Lego people (the minifigures).
  • Work: I'm working on a big project at Deere to upgrade Adobe software for everyone, so I'm spending some extra time on the weekends running reports and preparing software deployments.  If I don't get my work done, I won't have a job, and then I can't afford to buy Lego's.
  • Animal Crossing: This is a Nintendo Wii game my wife had shipped to her from California (from her parents' house).  It's a fun game.  As a community simulator, it does require about an hour of play time to maintain my status in Rindge (the name of our town).  Those hours could be better spent playing Lego's (or working or studying).
  • Pokemon: Yet another Nintendo game I'm playing.  If you don't know what Pokemon are, stop reading this and crawl out from underneath the rock you've been living under since '98.  I've been refining my Pokemon for Pokemon Stadium for Nintendo 64 so I can win more Pokemon (it's a vicious cycle).
  • Exercise: My wife and I are walking on the treadmills about 20 minutes three or four time a week.  Again, this eats up free time so I can't play Lego's.
  • Money: Earlier in the year, I was playing with the house's money.  Literally.  I got close to $300 in gift certificates to the Lego store, so I didn't have to pay for anything out of my own pocket.  It was much easier to pull the trigger on things when didn't have to shell out ACTUAL dollars to get the sets I wanted.
  • Christmas: With the holiday season coming up, I'm holding off to see what Lego will be coming out with and what I'll be asking for for Christmas (and my birthday, which is a few days after Jesus's).  I'm also not sure what I want to ask for.  Yeah, I'm in my mid-30's, so I don't need any toys for Christmas, but my parents like to buy them for me, so who am I to say no?
Not only so I have all that going on to take away from my commitment to those wonderful colored plastic bricks, but some of my projects have not come to fruition yet.  Several of my buildings I've done scheduled posts for weren't 100% completed (Delivery Services, TV Station, Laser Tag Area).  Two buildings I'm planning to write about haven't even been started yet.  No digital design, no physical model.  Those blog posts are postponed indefinitely.  I've got an idea for one replacement, but I got nothing for the second one.

It'd be nice if I had more resources to work on this blog, but it's just a hobby.  Maybe I just need to walk away from it for a bit before tackling it this winter.

No comments:

Post a Comment