Thursday, April 30, 2015

Research Lab

The Research Lab was inspired by two things.  First, my old workplace in Fargo where we design and manufacture electronic components, and second, putting all small spaceship models from Star Wars Advent Calendars to use.  So I thought to put the two together and make a place where they build drones.

Lots happening at the Research Lab today

Yes, evil, horrible drones.  They weren't going to be used to kill people or fire missiles.  Not for government intrusion or Amazon package delivery either.  The hope was that the drones would supplement the Space program.  They aren't all drones, necessarily.  Some of them will be used as satellites to orbit the world or possibly even other planets in the solar system.

But as I developed the lab, Space kinda fell by the wayside.  It's not my fault.  I've got Ice Planet 2002, Blacktron, M-Tron, Space Police,.and a few other sets from Space series that I just don't know what to do with.  I consider my Lego town is contemporary, not futuristic (despite the medieval knights and the pirates).  I'm not planning to get a modern space program either.  Either way, it becomes a question of what to do with them and where to put them.

The hardware engineer (left) and mechanical engineer (right) working on more designs

A software engineer writing code for the robots

I bought Star Wars Advent Calendars for myself to get the minifigures.  Chewy, Yoda, Han, R2 units...  I needed something to do with the mini ship models, so why not build a lab around that?

A large assortment of  the bigger drones/satellites

A big pile of the smaller drones.  Some assembly required

Well, I bought too many.  There's only enough room for four workbenches, as they'll need room to move drones in and out of the lab.  I considered building a warehouse next door, but even that wouldn't give us enough room to store everything.

Oh well, it's a good problem to have, I suppose.  Better for all the engineers and technicians to have a glut of work as opposed to not enough.

Technicians working on making adjustments on the equipment, while Tony and a mechanic discuss adjustments.

A droid lubricating a drone, and a businessman checking on the progress of one of the satellites 

One fun thing I experienced was trying to assemble an assortment of tools for everyone to use in the lab.  Wrenches, hammers, welding torches, binoculars, brooms, crowbars.  I think the lab is using more tools that any other location in town.  I've got enough for one full pegboard to store tools, and the second one in progress.  Another influence from working from Deere.  A place for everything, and everything has its place.  5S for the win.

Tools used at the research lab

Plenty of computer components for testing and monitoring the new drones for performance metrics.

Droids and people working in the lab

Sets used: 4347, 5762, 6910, 7958, 8028, 8805, 8831, 8833, 9348, 9490, 9509, 9675, 9676, 9677, 9678, 9679, 30053, 30057, 30167, 30241, 30244, 30300, 31001, 31013, 40049, 71002, 71004, 75006

No comments:

Post a Comment