Sunday, April 17, 2016

Lego Haul - 4/15/16

It's April, so it's road construction season in Minnesota.  They're working on the major highway by my place, so it's a real pain in the ass to head to the Lego store up here.  As such, I decided to order some sets from Lego's website instead.  I placed the order last weekend, and got my pieces on Friday.

 The Lego haul from 4/15/16

Since I was buying sets online, I ordered some online exclusive Power Functions sets, a Captain America: Civil War set, and some loose bricks.  I spent enough to get the free Mr. Freeze minifigure as well, so it's a great haul.

I'll start with Mr. Freeze.  I don't have as many DC Comics sets as I do Marvel, because nearly every DC set has a Batman or Superman.  I don't need a dozen different variations of Bruce Wayne or Clark Kent.  I'd rather get more Justice League members, like The Flash or Aquaman, or perhaps some more Batman villians, like The Joker, The Riddler, or The Penguin.  30603 Batman Classic TV Series - Mr. Freeze came free with my order of $75 or more.  Perhaps he can work with Catwoman and Lex Luthor to battle Batman, Superman, and Wonder Woman.

30603 Batman Classic TV Series - Mr. Freeze contents (left) and fully assembled (right)

I bought a 76050 Crossbones’ Hazard Heist, from Captain America: Civil War.  I can't wait for this movie to come out.  Marvel has done so well with The Avengers and the Cinematic Universe since the first Iron Man film came out.  DC and Warner Bros. won't be able to touch them, IMO.

But you're not hear for a movie review, you're here for Lego's.  The appeal of 76050 Crossbones’ Hazard Heist was the Black Widow minifigure.  She's the last Avenger I needed to complete the set, though I am still looking for a large Hulk.  Hopefully I can get one when the next Thor movie comes out.  I'd like to get more members of Team Iron Man and Team Cap, but like the DC sets, I can't get other superheroes without Tony and/or Steve included.  Oh well, there's still like ten movies to go, so here's hoping for more sets without them in the future.


76050 Crossbones’ Hazard Heist contents (left) and fully assembled (right)

Since I have both a 10247 Ferris Wheel and a 10244 Fairground Mixer, I ordered a 8293 LEGO Power Functions Motor Set and a 8883 LEGO Power Functions M-Motor to power them up.

Lego Power Functions elements I obtained


One would think that with the number of Technic sets in my local Lego store they'd have Power Functions items on the shelf, especially since it's a larger store, but that'd make too much sense.

8293 LEGO Power Functions Motor Set contents

I won't go into too much detail about the amusement riders just yet, as that blog post is scheduled for later this year.  Fortunately, connecting the motors was quite simple, and I just had to plug them in.  I didn't have to tear anything down to fit the motors in.  I do wish the cables for the motors were longer, as they are only eight inches long.


M-Motors connected to 10247 Ferris Wheel (left) and a 10244 Fairground Mixer (right)

Power Functions battery pack and toggle switch

The motors work great.  If you want to see for yourself, check out the video below:

I do plan to get some more Power Function sets, as I will need 20" extension cables, a AAA battery box (I got plenty of rechargeable AAA's not being put to use but not so many AA's), a couple more motors, and maybe some Mindstorms elements as well. I DO have an R2-D2 to automate...

Everything from the first portion of my recent Lego order

I also ordered some loose bricks from the online Pick-A-Brick, but those pieces are shipped from Poland.  I haven't received them yet, but when I do, I'll share those with you as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment