Sunday, February 15, 2015

Racing Garage

With the Great American Race, the Daytona 500, coming up, I'll be using my February scheduled posts to talk about my Racing Lego sets.  Today, I'll talk about my Racing Garage.

Side and front views of the racing garage

All the race cars parked in the Racing Garage

With so many different shapes and sizes of race cars, it's tough to come up with a reason all these cars would be racing.  I finally came up with something a few months ago.  What about a Le Mans-style race?  OK, so they don't race on a track the shape of a basic loop, but they do race with several different styles of cars. And they don't go on normal streets, like the Monaco Grand Prix.  Meh, it works for me.



The various race cars parked in their stalls

The race loop give me a basic town shape, then I'd line up all my buildings around the outside of the track, with my pile of extra bricks in the middle.  Racing was never a safe activity, as wrecks would take out most of the buildings.  Then I'd have to rebuild everything.  I wasn't as creative as a child, so the only way I'd build things were just taking my Lego sets apart and putting them back together.

Fast forward twenty years.  I'm not racing my Lego race cars against each other, but I needed a new place to put them until it was race day.  That's how I came up with the garage.  I've got 10 slots, one for each race car (which was sufficient until I got car #11 for Christmas in 2013).

There's not much room IN each garage for stuff like tools or pit crews.  It's just for storing the cars.

Race care Red 3, the pit crew, and the trophy

I do have these extra decorative sloped elements that I could use to build cars, but I don't have a place to park those extra cars after I build them.  Unless I build another garage.  But I don't want to.  So there.

Extra race car decorative elements

The racing garage sitting on my coffee table while I watch House (I think)

Sets used: 1461, 5398, 6337, 6510, 6528, 6546, 6551, 6646, 30150, 60053

No comments:

Post a Comment