Thursday, December 15, 2016

Marina Launch Ramp

When you have a large oceanside city, it's reasonable to assume that residents and businesses will want to put boats in the water.  My Marina Launch Ramp was designed to do just that.

The Marina Launch Ramp

The design is pretty simple.  An inclined plane carved out of a large block of a cement-like substance.  Just long and wide enough for a vehicle to back their trailer down to get the boat into the water for launching.

The ferry backing up to the launch ramp

When I got the 60119 Ferry back in June, I was wondering if I could make it work with the launch ramp.  It's not pretty, but if it lines up at the right angle, there is enough room for one of the ramps on the ferry to come down and allow cars to drive on.  I should reconfigure the ramp to be longer and more shallow, as there is a chance a car could scrape the underside of its bumpers because the wheels fall into the rut between the ramp and the ferry.

It'd be really great if I can find some dark stone grey 4515 ramp 6x8 bricks to use for the ramp, but Lego has never made any in that color.  They do have roof tile 1x4 pieces in dark stone grey, so I can pick some of those up.  I'd need a lot of them though.  How many is to be determined.  I've got some time between Christmas and New Year's to go back to the drawing board.

The ferry at sea

I should also figure out how to help people board the ferry from the dock.  I used to live on an island, so I'll figure it out.  It'd just be a staircase.  Maybe I should add some benches for passengers to sit on.  Some way to anchor cars down so they don't roll around on the deck while the ferry is in transit.  It'll be fun...

Sets used: 60117

No comments:

Post a Comment