Tuesday, March 15, 2016

Islanders

One of the first challenges I was faced with when designing my Lego town was figuring out what to do with my early '90s Islanders sets.  In the Legoland universe, they were a subset of Pirates, and a few of the sets intersected with seeking bounty and booty.  But with all the Pirates joining the Marines in my world, what could I do with the natives?


The Islanders' performance center


I thought about where I could put it and what kind of climate my city would be in.  I came up with a subtropical zone, like maybe southern California.  It'd be nice to go to Cali, because then I could put my wintry sets in the mountains surrounding Lake Tahoe.  Then the Islanders could be at the beach or next to the shore.


Status of the king overlooking the land (left) and the actual king on his throne (right)
 
Of course, the next question becomes what do they do in town?  I thought a Polynesian-type luau/cookout/dance show.  Show their athletic abilities, provide a non-sports entertainment option, give the residents a chance to learn about other cultures.  Spending my teenage years overseas I saw some of these types of displays, but I should have done more to learn about my hosts.

The Islanders performers consist of spearmen, a hula girl, and even a flamespinner.

I wish I could come up with something like this for my other late '80s to mid '90s Lego's.  I have no idea what to do with all my Space sets.  They're all too futuristic to fit into the mold I've built for my town.  It's much easier to yank Lego people forward into the present then to try to pull them back from the past.  Maybe when I complete more of my city, I can open up my green tote with all the items I'm not using right now to come up with my next big idea.



Sets used: 6236, 6246, 6262, 71002

No comments:

Post a Comment