Saturday, January 10, 2015

Lego Haul - 1/6/15

As a birthday present to myself, I ordered a 10682 Lego Creative Suitcase.  It didn't have any minifigures (which I knew) and no instructions (which I did not know).  It's kind of vanilla, but I figured it wouldn't hurt to have more bricks.

10682 Lego Creative Suitcase box

Contents of 10682 Lego Creative Suitcase


Bricks included in 10682 Lego Creative Suitcase

The best part of this entire set were the 16 Corner Brick 2x2/45° sloping brick.  I'm going to need a lot of them to build my Pyramid nightclub.

16 yellow Corner Brick 2x2/45° pieces included in 10682 Lego Creative Suitcase

All the bricks from 10682 Lego Creative Suitcase that would be used for the Pyramid nightclub.

I came up with the idea a couple of years ago, after I moved down to the Twin Cities.  With all my buildings, I didn't have a cool place for the Lego people to hang out at during the evenings.  I went backwards on this design.  First, I build a physical model, THEN I went digital.

Pyramid proof of concept physical model

Pyramid digital model (top) and physical model (bottom)

As you may be able to tell from my models, the original layout was for a 32x32 baseplate, but I determined that it only left me with about a 16x16 internal space, which wouldn't be a very big nightclub.  I had to go bigger.  I had to use a 48x48 baseplate to ensure I could have internal elements, like a DJ booth, a bar, a bouncer, and other typical nightclub fare.


Completed digital Pyramid model with 48x48 baseplate

I still have to add those internal items.  I haven't figured out how to make them fit yet, and the digital model is not conducive to that.  I have to go back to the physical model.

Costs of the building are also not in my favor.  Yet.  I need three large cups of 2x4 bricks, nearly 1000 2x2 roof tile bricks (also about three large cups worth), and 76 of the corner slopes, which you can't even buy individually from Lego's online Pick-A-Brick.  Putting this together is going to be a massive effort, probably running me close to $200.  At least.


Current building progress of the Pyramid Nightclub

For now, the trendy new hotspot won't be completed for years.  But it'll be pretty happenin' once it's finished.

No comments:

Post a Comment